Tweed 5E3 Vacuum Tube Amp Kit
This is the perfect kit for both a first project as well as for the seasoned builder. This kit, which includes everything you'll need to complete the amp, can be constructed in one or two evenings with astounding results.
Here are some reviews and pictures of happy kit builders with their TubeDepot.com Tube Kits
With a nod to the late 50's era tweed 5E3, this is much more than just a common reproduction. With superior components and updated layouts, this amp just sounds better. From its extremely low noise floor to its full bodied tonal clarity, this amp is perfect in the studio and on stage. If you are a guitarist or harmonica player, this kit will provide you with great construction fun and unsurpassed tweed tone. This amp was meant to be played often and kept forever...and your audiences will rejoice.
>>>Power transformer tapped for export to all countries.<<<
This great kit can be customized by you with upgraded parts. Or it can be ordered without the cabinet and / or speaker. Let us give you a quote.
It is sometimes necessary for TubeDepot.com to substitute certain parts contained in a kit without prior notification. This is most often due to parts availability and/or to improve the performance of the kit. All substitutions are made with careful thought and we gladly encourage questions regarding parts substitutions you may have received.
Make sure to read some of the Kit Reviews from our customers.
First amp build and I'm absolutely thrilled with this kit! I've built guitars before so had a little soldering experience but this took it to another level. My soldering improved as I went but I got it done following the detailed instructions. Went through the startup procedures today and had one little problem where a wire crossed to close to the solder of another wire creating a spark and a small shock but I grabbed my insulated pliers separated and redressed and she fired right up! I have a 65 Princeton Reverb and a 65 Deluxe RI and this amp is better than either. There is more fullness and bloom to the notes...I run my strat in the bright channel and use the normal channel as a second tone knob to dial in cleans at 11 as 12 on the dial or dirt at 8 to 10. Hbuckers also sound great and readily distort. Cannot recommend it enough...now which mods will I try??? Lol
reviewed by: Dave H
Awesome amp! This is the second tubedepot amp I’ve put together and it’s fantastic! Awesome tone and dead quiet. Best folks to deal with, always quick to respond and friendly. Highly recommended!
reviewed by: Dave B
Great sounding amp, an amazing and fun project to build. The manual is clearly written and easy to follow.
reviewed by: John
Great people to deal with, great service, and a great kit project. Excellent build instructions and components -- you will pay more elsewhere for a kit on par with this one.
reviewed by: rwfurman
Another perfect kit- all parts individually labeled and absolutely everything included. Instructions are very clear and comprehensive. I really enjoy building these quality amps so I did not hurry. Spent several very enjoyable afternoons and sadly it was finished sooner than I would have liked. It passed all initial tests with no problems and produced wonderful tone the first time I plugged in my guitar. The next day I traded my Vox AC15 for a guitar. Compared to this 5E3 it sounded tinny and flat. Just a great product. If you are tired of being disappointed by off the shelf equipment, buy one of these kits. But beware- once you build one you will want another one whether you need it or not,
reviewed by: Kevin Holloway
Just like the other amp kits I have purchased and built from Tube Depot, this kit did not disappoint. Very well thought out and complete kit. The amp took one evening to build and the fact that it was too late to plug it in when I finished was torture. I spend most of the next day just enjoying the simplicity of this amp, and the classic tones it produces. The only question that remains is, which kit will I build next.
reviewed by: Dperalta
I will never buy an off the shelf amp again! It's a lot of fun to put together and the sound is fantastic. Suitable for first time builders, the instructions are very thorough with good photos and drawings. IF\f you are hesitant to try, don't be! they guys at Tube depot are great and can help. I called prior to my purchase for help trying to decide on a model. I ended up with the 5E3 and a few different Pre-amp tubes so I could experiment a bit once complete.
reviewed by: Tom K
This was my first amp build so I was a bit nervous. I followed the detailed directions closely and triple checked my work. To my surprise, everything worked perfectly the first time. I can't believe the sound I'm getting for the price! And since I put it together from boxes of parts, the mystery of how tube amps is gone. I'm starting to mod it now to personalize the tone. Building this amp had fundamentally changed my relationship with amps and opened up a whole new world of experimentation.
reviewed by: Ken W.
- Power Tubes - a duo of JJ/Tesla 6V6 power tubes
- Preamp Tubes - two JJ/Tesla 12AX7
- Rectifier Tube - JJ/Tesla 5AR4 / GZ34
- Resistors - Low noise, tight tolerance carbon film and metal oxide resistors.
- Coupling capacitors - High voltage, full clarity metalized polypropylene capacitors.
- Electrolytic capacitors - High temperature, tight tolerance electrolytic filter capacitors.
- Wire - High temperature, high voltage stranded wire. Easy to work with and resists melting.
- Output Transformer - USA made with 8 ohm secondary.
- Power Transformer - USA made with high temperature wire. Taps for: 100V / 117V / 220V / 230 / 240V
- Speaker - Ultra efficient Jensen MOD 12-50, 50w speaker. For the highest volume and clearest tone.
- Cabinet - 3/4" solid pine with full finger jointed for strongest construction.
- Baffle board - Void and resonant free birch plywood provides tightest low end response.
- Chassis - Fully chromed and durably printed reproduction of original.
- Input and Speaker jacks - extremely durable 1/4" Switchcraft jacks for years of troublefree use.
- Printed Circuit Board - 1/16" rugged glass epoxy board with oversized circuit traces and onboard shielding to keep tone at maximum and noise at minimum. Circuit traces follow the original layout to duplicate wiring and component tonal effects.
- Includes SMV1 (Shock Mount V1) kit.